You can Enroll Online for our Enrichment Classes by Clicking on the School Links below:
Dockweiler Youth Center-Camps
Dockweiler Youth Center-Classes
The Premier Funtastic Fitness and Skill Development Program for Preschool Children. CLICK HERE or the Star above to learn more about our Fabulously Fun and Educational Programs.
Program (Enrichment Class and Camp) Descriptions
PRESCHOOL, ELEMENTARY AND MIDDLE SCHOOL PROGRAMS
(Please scroll down to view our Program Summary AND Detailed Program Descriptions
Filmmaking and Photography
Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics)
ART CLASSES (Ages 3-14):
1) The Young Artist
2) All About Character!
- Structured similarly to a traditional studio art class, “The Young Artist” focuses on exposing students to a variety of artistic techniques, mediums, and famous artworks. Students will focus on drawing, painting, mixed-media collage, sculpture, printmaking, and more. This is an excellent class for beginners, as students will become immersed in the world of fine art, build a wide range of skills, and learn a variety of ways to express themselves creatively.
- Level 1: A heavy focus on skill building. This includes how to use scissors, how to glue, how to manage the paint studio, how to take care of brushes and other tools. Students will be exposed to a variety of age appropriate art works as inspiration. Students will also begin to learn to the basic elements and principles of art and design.
- Level 2: Will review many of the basic concepts learned in level 1, however, students will also begin to be exposed to more advanced concepts. Level 2 begins to incorporate color theory (warm and cool colors, complimentary colors, etc), and a more in depth understanding of the elements and principles of art and design. Students will be exposed to a variety of historical and contemporary artworks and discuss how different art principles are incorporated.
- Level 3: In this stage of the Young Artist class, students will be exposed to advanced art techniques and concepts. Students will create a portfolio of work in a variety of mediums. Students will learn how to portray mood in their artwork. By the end of level 3, students should have a clear understanding of the various elements and principals of art and design, as well as a mastery of various artistic tools, processes, and techniques. Students will continue to view historical and contemporary artworks. Students will also learn how to appropriately analyze and critique artwork, both their own work, and the work of others.
- In the ‘All About Character!’ class, students will be introduced to cartooning and character design. Students will view and discuss examples of industry standard character designs, as well practice a variety of design techniques. Students in this class will have the opportunity to design their own heroes, villains, and a variety of other types of characters, while simultaneously mastering a variety of drawing and coloring mediums. This class will help students to understand the value of art beyond the classroom, and introduce them to a variety of potential career paths.
- Level 1: Students will talk about different kinds of characters and what makes them characters. Students will view and discuss some of their favorite characters from TV and video games and begin to examine what makes those characters exciting. Students will then have the opportunity to create their own characters: heroes, villains, monsters, aliens, robots, animals, and much, much more.
- Level 2: Students will begin to focus on developing stories for their characters. Form follows function, and that’s what the focus of level 2 is: creating characters (heroes, villains, monsters, robots, etc) whose function or purpose is supported visually in the character design. Students will create a wide variety of characters in a range of mediums.
- Level 3: In level 3, Students will examine the silhouette and why it plays such an important role in developing famous characters. In this final stage, students will not only design their own characters, villains, monsters, etc, but they will also create their own industry standard design sheets, showing the characters turnaround, facial feature charts, and description of their personality, powers (if any) and other important traits.
3) The Illustrative Artist
- In the ‘Illustrative Artist’ class, children will become master storytellers. The students in this class will discover the true breadth and depth of the work of an illustrator. Students will become masters of the pen and pencil as artistic tools. Students will also learn to work in a variety of illustrative mediums such as watercolor and gouache. In addition, this class links art with literacy, and helps students to understand the value of art beyond the classroom by introducing them to the art-focused career of the illustrator.
- Level 1: Storytelling is instinctive, and children begin telling stories through artwork as soon as they are old enough to pick up a pencil. Level 1 focuses heavily on children’s book illustration and how the images in the books help support the stories. Students will create their own stories and books in this level, using a variety of mediums (pencils, watercolor, etc).
- Level 2: Begins to put more of a focus on skill building. Now that students have spent time focusing on how to tell a story through images, it’s time to begin refining the images they create. Students will begin to learn how to control their line quality (thickness and thinness of lines) by practicing drawing from life. Students will also learn and practice basic watercolor and colored pencil applications and techniques, among others. Students will also be exposed to illustrations in other venues such as fine art, magazines, advertisements, and so on.
- Level 3: Begins to look at how to explore your personal identity through illustration. Students will explore their cultural heritage by studying a variety of folk tales from around the world and put a personal twist on them by creating their own illustrations to go with the stories. Students will also look at commercial illustrations such as info-graphics and advertisements, and have the opportunity to create their own. Students will practice drawing objects from life to increase their drawing skills, practice advanced colored pencil, watercolor, and gouache techniques, as well as continue to refine their line work. Students will produce a portfolio of work at the end of level 3.
4) Mixed Media Art
- In the mixed media class, students will learn that in reality, art has no rules. This is a fun class that allows students to really get into the nitty-gritty and create wonderfully unique, expressive, and carefully crafted artworks. Students will learn, use, and combine collage, drawing, painting, and printmaking in this class to create standalone pieces, as well as ongoing “visual journals” where they will practice different techniques.
- Level 1: Students will begin to explore what mixed media art really is – that is, art that uses more than one type of medium. Children will learn to paint, draw, and glue on one piece of artwork rather than isolating different mediums. Students will use stamps, sprays, etc.
- Level 2 : Iintroduces the concept of the “visual journal”. This journal is where we will be practicing different mixed media techniques before we apply them to our standalone artworks. Students will be encouraged to take these home with them and work
- Level 3: Level 3 will begin to put more of a focus on the artwork. Different themes will be introduced (nature, city, friendship, etc), and students will begin to express those themes in their artwork. Every class students will practice a specific technique in their visual journals, although they only have to use those techniques in their final artworks if they choose to. Students will practice rough drafts and techniques in their journals, then translate successful applications into a finished work of art. Students will develop a portfolio of works at the end of level 3.
Art Classes for Adults:
1) Art for Preschool Teachers
- This class focuses on the value of fine art for the preschool student. Too often are we focused on arts and crafts over fine art in a preschool setting. While arts and crafts definitely have value, they should exist alongside, not in place of a fine art curriculum. The ‘Art for Preschool Teachers’ class will help preschool teachers who want to incorporate art-beyond-craft in their classrooms learn how. Leave your precut shapes and ideas at the door, we are focused on process over product! This class will enable you to develop self-confidence, creativity, and critical thinking skills in your students, while simultaneously encouraging collaboration and teamwork, and helping to develop gross and fine motor skills through participating in a fine art curriculum.
2) Form Analysis
- In this class, adult students (18 and up) will focus on the basics of drawing using traditional mediums such as charcoal, charcoal pencils, and conte. Students will focus on developing their eye to be able to analyze the forms of various objects so that they can draw and render them on paper with accuracy. Objects will start out small, such as cubes, spheres, and other shapes, and will eventually lead up to fully developed still lives and portraits.
DANCE CLASSES (Ages 2.5-14):
Level 1: Twinkle toes: Level one ballet focuses on learning basic ballet technique in a fun manner. Students will learn the five positions of the feet, positions of the arms, and basic ballet terms and movements such as plie, tendu, releve, etc. Students will also learn stretches necessary to build dance poise and flexibility. Students will move across the floor and learn routines in center floor to incorporate their movements with music. At this level stories and activities are used to keep children focused and having fun while learning. Children will put on a performance at the end of the session to demonstrate what they have learned.
Level 2: Ballerina Bears: Level two ballet expands on the basic ballet technique learned in Level 1. Students at this level should have some previous ballet experience. Additional ballet terms and movements such as battements, ronde de jambs, pas be bourees, pirouettes, jetes, etc., will be taught. Students will work on improving the level of their technique through combinations at the barre, across the floor, and routines in center floor. They will work on improving their flexibility, balance, and extension, through different stretches and exercises. Students at this level will begin to understand the grace and style that goes with performing ballet and will demonstrate it with a performance or recital at the end of the session.
Level 1: The Jazz Kittens: Level one jazz dance focuses on learning basic jazz dance technique the fun way. Students will learn the proper form in doing jazz walks, kicks, turns, leaps, etc. Class consists of a warm up including stretches to increase flexibility and balance, movements and combinations across the floor, and short routines incorporating the learned techniques. Games and activities incorporating dance themes and techniques are also included to keep this a fun, learning environment. At the end of the session children will put on a performance that showcases what they have learned and gives them an opportunity to dance with an audience.
DANZENYOGA is a unique combination of DANCE, YOGA, CAPOEIRA and Latin Dances. Students have a lot of FUN while at the same time they get increasgingly fit (physically and mentally). The benefits of this class include enhancing confidence, creativity, coordination, grace, strengh, balance, health and happines.
Level 2: The Jazz Cats: Level two expands on basic jazz technique and also begins to incorporate dance style and the emotional range of dance. This level is for children with some previous dance experience. Students will continue to work on more advanced forms of jazz walks, turns, kicks, leaps, etc. Class consists of a warm-up where students will work on increasing flexibility and understanding body placement in order to advance their dance technique. They will perform movements and short combinations across the floor and also learn more detailed dance routines. At this level students are learning how to pick- up and remember combinations and how to perform them through style and emotional expression. Dance activities are also incorporated to keep thing s fun and to keep students working together. A recital or performance will be done at the end of the session that allows children to showcase what they have learned and also to perform with an audience.
Level 1: Level one hip hop is a very fun introductory teaching of today’s pop culture style of dance. Children will learn to move to their favorite songs and learn routines to music created by their favorite artists (N’Sync, Brittney Spears, Aaron Carter, Etc.). In this class children will not stop jumping, clapping, turning and performing today’s most popular moves. Not only is this class a great workout, but it is a fun way for children to learn rhythm and coordination. They will put on a performance at the end of the session to show off all of their cool grooves.
Level 2: Level two hip hop is a very fun contemporary dance class teaching today’s pop culture style of dance. Children will learn to move to their favorite songs and will learn routines to music created by their favorite artists. In this class children will learn today’s hottest moves while having fun and getting a great workout. This non-stop class teaches short routines to help children learn to pick-up and remember choreography and start them on their path to performance capabilities. This class is a great way for children to enhance their rhythm and coordination. They will end the session with an exciting performance demonstrating their funky new moves.
JAZZ AND HIP HOP COMBO
This class is designed for Dancers who are interested in developing their Dance techniques in Jazz and Hip Hop. Kids will have TONS OF FUN warming up, stretching, learning Jazz (walks, kicks, turns, leaps, etc.) and Hip Hop (jumping, clapping, turning and performing to popular moves), while developing their performance techniques. The students will learn at least one choreographed Jazz and Hip Hop routine. The skills and dance routines taught will vary depending on the age and skill level of the group.
Level 1: Floating Fairies: Level one modern dance focuses on the very beginning foundation of modern dance technique. Children focus on becoming acquainted with their bodies and how they move through stretches and flexibility movements. Modern techniques are taught through a large amount of creative movement. Student will learn short routines where they will learn to express different feelings and emotions through dance.
Level 1: Teddy Bear Tappers: Level one tap will teach children the basics of tap dance. They will learn to get acquainted with their tap shoes and the sounds that their tap shoes can make. Children will learn basic tap steps such as taps, shuffles, hops, digs, etc. They will begin to understand rhythm and coordination of their feet. Short routines to fun music are taught so that remembering tap techniques becomes fun and easy. They will get a chance to display all of these new step and sounds with an end of the session performance.
Level 2: Fabulous feet: Level two tap expands on the tap dance basics. More advanced steps are taught creating multiple sounds and rhythms with the feet. Children learn to coordinate arm and feet movements. They will learn short routines enabling them to connect the steps and learn to perform them in a fun and easy way. They will blow you away with their fabulous feet with a performance done at the end of the session.
BEGINNING DANCE 1
(Ages 3-8 years)
This class is for the beginning dancer. Children will have TONS OF FUN learning to warm-up, stretch, dance techniques (including kicks, progressions, etc.) and an introduction to Jazz, hip hop, ballet and/or modern. An emphasis will be placed on the development of movement and coordination skills as well as spatial awareness. At least one dance routine will be taught.
BEGINNING DANCE 2
(Ages 3-8 years)
This class is designed for Dancers with some experience and who are interested in advancing their Dance techniques (including turns, kicks, progressions, combinations, etc.). Kids will have TONS OF FUN warming up, stretching, learning Jazz, Modern and/or Ballet while developing their performance techniques. Emphasis will be placed on the development of flexibility, coordination and spatial awareness. The students will learn at least one choreographed dance routine.
Movin’ to the groove: This is a fun, fun, fun for all class for anybody and everybody, boys and girls who like to move to the music. This class is all about the freedom of dance and lettin’ loose! Children will learn all of the favorites party dances, the Electric Slide, the Macarena, the Hokey Pokey, The Chicken Dance, The Hand Jive, the Limbo, and many many more. Children will also learn how to count and listen to music and how to move with a group. This class does not focus on dance technique but on the fun and freedom of moving and expressing through dance. This is a great way for kids to learn coordination, get a great workout, and just have fun. Maybe they will even be able to teach you that dance you’ve always wanted to learn! At the end of the session we will throw one big party where we get to have fun doing our favorite dances.
DANCES FROM AROUND THE WORLD (Ages 3-14)
A Multi-Cultural Experience
Every Class is like going on vacation. This is an exciting and FUN multi-cultural Dance class where Students will learn a variety of Dances from around the world. Classes may include styles from the U.S., Africa, Europe, Haiti , Brazil and from other regions in the world; some based on Student requests. Students will have a lot of FUN as they experience new, fun and a variety of rhythmic styles of dance. Sessions begin with a discussion focusing on the country or region where the Dance originated and Students will learn about the Country's culture and the meaning behind the movements. This will be a great way for students to broaden their dance technique and to learn about different Counties. Get ready to travel around the world; each class will be a “new stop”.
FILMMAKING AND PHOTOGRAPHY
* Class can be tailored to a curriculum, theme or unit of study
Beginning Photography (K-8th)
Kids will have TONS OF FUN as they develop their techniques for a lifelong enjoyment of photography. This skills taught will include techniques such as how to visualize, frame, crop and take better pictures. Students will also learn how to shoot action pictures and special effects, as well as how to show their work in the form of a portfolio or creating a show. Parents will be invited to the last day of class where the students will have the opportunity to show their work (OR Photographs will be sent home periodically during the Session..
Young Filmmakers Workshop 1 (K-8th)*
Write and shoot an in-camera-edited video during this intensive hands-on workshop. Learn acting, directing, writing and camera work. Actors, writers, directors and technicians are needed. No experience is necessary.
Young Filmmakers Workshop 2 (K-8th)*
Students will have TONS OF FUN as they learn the basics of filmmaking, including how a set operates, the different positions on a film crew, and basic screenwriting, directing, and shooting principles. Together they will write, shoot, and act in a short 5-10 minute film, which will be edited by the instructor. Min/Max: 6/10 per class.
FITNESS CLASSES (Ages 3-Adult):
CARDIO TENNIS FOR TEENS & ADULTS
Cardio Tennis is a fun fitness program that pushes your fitness to a new level with a high energy workout while you improve your tennis skills. Classes include a warm-up, a cardio work-out and a cool-down. Benefits include burning more calories than playing singles or doubles and you Players get short cycles of high intensity workouts and periods of rest, similar to interval training. Because of the intense workout, the use of Heart Rate Monitors is recommended for adults.
MARTIAL ARTS (Ages 3-10)
Kids will enjoy learning the FUNdamentals of Martial Arts, including stance, punches, kicks and blocks. They will warm-up and stretch at the beginning of each class and cool down at the end of class. Emphasis will be placed on safety, the use of their new skills for self-defense only and respect. The benefits of these classes will include learning discipline and focus as well as enhanced self-confidence and self-esteem.
Stretch-n-Grow is the largest Fitness Program in the World for Preschool Children. It is offered in over 250 regions throughout the World including many cities throughout the United States including Los Angeles County and 11 Countries (including Canada, Great Britain, Ireland, Spain, Hong Kong, the Philippines and more).
STRETCH-N-GROW FITNESS/P.E./MOVEMENT/SKILL DEVELOPMENT (TODDLER, PRESCHOOL AND K) (Ages 2-6 years)
Every week is a NEW ADVENTURE! Students will have TONS OF FUN learning to warm-up and stretch, moving to music, learning movement, gross motor and coordination skills (e.g., jumping, galloping, hopping, skipping, catching and throwing balls, kicking balls, etc.), using a lot of props (e.g., tunnels, balance beams, cones, various balls, etc.) and playing games. A Health Education Curriculum that teaches nutrition, safety and hygiene is also available with Monthly Newsletters and Weekly Handouts. Classes are age appropriate and based on the skill level of each group.
YOGA FOR KIDS & TEENS (Ages 3-14 years)
Yoga is an excellent form of non-competitive exercise. Kids will have TONS OF FUN as they are guided through yoga practice designed to stimulate their growing minds and bodies. They will increase their flexibility, balance and coordination while learning yoga stretches and positions in addition to learning to relax and concentrate. Their imagination will be stimulated as they shape their bodies into mammals, mountains and trees, etc.
SPANISH (Ages 5-10)
5 STAR SPANISH ACADEMY: BEGINNING LEVEL 1
Students will learn Spanish, the FUN way; through a variety of interactive activities such as through art, music, movement, sports, storytelling and games, using an immersion model (as much as possible). They will learn vocabulary, phrases and grammar as they begin to converse in Spanish. The level of Spanish taught will depend on the age and skill level of the group.
5 STAR SPANISH ACADEMY: BEGINNING-Level 2
Students who participated in Spanish Level 1 and/or who have prior Spanish experience AND who are interested in learning "Spanish the FUN way" are welcome to enroll in this FUN beginning Spanish Class. Students will learn Spanish through a variety of interactive activities such as through art, music, movement, sports, storytelling and games. They will learn vocabulary, phrases and grammar as they begin to converse in Spanish. The level of Spanish taught will depend on the age and skill level of the group.
5 STAR SPANISH ACADEMY: CONVERSATION-LEVEL 1: AN IMMERSION MODEL
This Class will build on the vocabulary, phrases and skills that were taught in our beginning Spanish 2 Classes. Students will learn Conversational Spanish, the FUN way; through a variety of interactive activities such as through art, music, movement, sports, storytelling and games. They will learn more vocabulary, phrases and grammar as they continue to converse in Spanish. The majority of the Class will be spoken only in Spanish (90%+). The level of Spanish taught will depend on the age and skill level of the group.
5 STAR SPANISH ACADEMY: CONVERSATION-LEVEL 2: AN IMMERSION MODEL
This Class will build on the vocabulary, phrases and skills that were taught in our Spanish 1 and/or other Spanish Classes. Students will learn Conversational Spanish, the FUN way; through a variety of interactive activities such as through art, music, movement, sports, storytelling and games. They will learn more vocabulary, phrases and grammar as they continue to converse in Spanish. The majority of the Class will be spoken only in Spanish (90%+). The level of Spanish taught will depend on the age and skill level of the group.
MUSIC CLASSES (Ages 3-14)
1. GUITAR (2nd-8th)
Students will have a lot of Fun in this small group learning Guitar and to play songs. The class will include rhythm and percussion activities, an introduction to reading music, guitar chords and basic music theory. Min/Max: 3/5 per class.
2. BEGINNING KEYBOARD (K-8th)
Students will have a lot of Fun in this small group learning the Keyboard and to play songs. The class will include rhythm and percussion activities, an introduction to reading music, basic music theory.
Min/Max: 3/5 per class.
3. BEGINNING MUSIC (Ages 3-6 years)
Students have a lot of FUN learning the FUNdamentals of Music including Rhythm, Beat, basic Music Theory and various Age-Appropriate Songs to Sing and Move to. They are introduced to a variety of Instruments, including the Guitar, Keyboard/Piano and various Percussion instruments,
4. SINGING/KARAOKE (K-5th)
Enrich your child’s life and enhance self-confidence through Music. In this class, your children will have a lot of FUN as they experience the benefits of Music by singing along to some of their favorite songs and learning new ones from Disney, etc. Music is a wonderful way to enhance your child’s creativity and talents. A Karaoke machine will be used to enhance your child’s learning experience and record songs that are learned in class. Min/Max: 6/12
SPORTS CLASSES (Ages 2.5-14 years) AND FIYA LEAGUE (4th-8th grade):
BASEBALL/SOFTBALL (Ages 7-12) If you are thinking about enrolling your child in a Baseball/SoftballLeague, this is a class for him/her. Students will have TONS OF FUN while learning/reinforcing Baseball/Softball skills while developing a “love” for one of America’s favorite sports. The skills taught will be based on the level of each group. We will teach/reinforce the following skills: hitting, running the bases, throwing and fielding balls, as well as teamwork, sportsmanship and basic rules of the game. The Students will be taught to warm-up and stretch at the beginning of each class.
BASKETBALL (Ages 4-14 years) Students will have TONS OF FUN while learning FUNDAMENTAL BASKETBALL SKILLS while getting prepared to play Recreational Basketball for Fun, Leagues, etc. BASKETBALL SKILLS TO BE TAUGHT/REINFORCED INCLUDE: dribbling, passing, shooting, offense and defense. Benefits include Developing movement skills, eye-hand coordination, enhancing self-confidence, learning teamwork, and improving concentration.
CHEERLEADING (Ages 6-14 years)
Students will have TONS OF FUN learning FUNdamental Cheerleading Skills as well as choreographed dances and cheers on a bi-weekly basis. Cheerleading moves that the kids will learn will include High V, Low V, T, etc. Skills that will be taught include Kicks, Jumps, Spirit and TEAMWORK. Benefits of the classes include enhancing memory and sequencing skills, preparation for more advanced cheerleading classes and becoming increasingly fit. The children will learn to warm-up and stretch at the beginning of each class
FLAG FOOTBALL (Ages 7-14 years)
Students will have TONS OF FUN while enhancing their skills to play Flag Football. Skills to be taught include passing, receiving, blocking and punting, with a focus on developing strategies, plays, teamwork, rules and scoring. They will learn to warm-up and stretch at the beginning of each class. Benefits including enhancing eye-hand coordination, movement and teamwork skills while becoming increasingly fit.
GOLF (Ages 4-14)
We bring the elements of a Golf Course to parks and schools, with multiple levels based on the skills of each group. The First Level teaches students Golf’s fundamentals while introducing them to all parts of the game. The Second Level will be for those more advanced Golf Students who completed the First Level during the last Session (or who have had prior Golf Lessons) and desire to enhance their Golf Swing and play at a more advanced level. Students learn the proper Golf setup, all types of swings, the game’s rules and etiquette, and Golf’s life values in a fun, safe and nurturing environment. We provide all equipment, and each student receives a hat, an achievement award and can win prizes through contests. Min/Max Enrollment: 6/12
GYMNASTICS FUNDAMENTALS (Ages 3-10 years)
Students will have a Lot of FUN as they develop/enhance their loco-motor skills, manipulative movements and strength with instruction that includes rolls, cartwheels, jumping off of a Springboard, strength using Bars, balance using a Balance Beam and body awareness. Your Child will develop his/her coordination skills, confidence , strength, flexibility, discipline, goal orientation, organization and creativity. These will serve as “stepping stones” as they progress into more advanced Gymnastics and/or other Sports. Skills taught will be based on the level of the group as each individual. Min/Max: 6/12
KINDERSPORTS-N-FITNESS (Ages 3-6 years)
Students will have TONS OF FUN while learning FUNdamental sports, movement and coordination skills, learning to play a variety of sports which can include T-Ball, Basketball, Soccer, Tennis, Kickball, as well as others that the kids would enjoy learning. They will be taught to warm-up and stretch at the beginning of each class. Classes are FUN and SKILL DEVELOPMENT ORIENTED, not competitive.
MOMMY/DADDY & ME SPORTS (Ages 2-4)
Mommies/Daddies and Kids will have a lot of FUN as the kids learn fundamental gross motor and movement skills. They will also be introduced to a variety of sports including Basketball, Soccer and T-Ball, as well as others that they will enjoy learning. Our Staff will serve as a facilitator for this class as Mommies/Daddies are taught how to teach their children a variety of skills and sports, which can be reinforced at home and at the park.
PRE-SPORTS (Ages 2.5+ years)
Students will have TONS OF FUN while learning movement and coordination skills, learning the FUNdamenals of a variety of sports which can include T-Ball, Basketball, Soccer, Tennis, Kickball, as well as others that the kids would enjoy learning. The Sports Skills taught will vary every 1-3 weeks. The children will be taught to warm-up and stretch at the beginning of each class. Classes are FUN and SKILL DEVELOPMENT ORIENTED, not competitive.
SOCCER (Ages 3-14 years)
SPORTS MANIA (Ages 4-10)
Students will have TONS OF FUN while learning FUNDAMENTAL SOCCER SKILLS and preparing to play Recreational Soccer for Fun, Leagues, etc. SOCCER SKILLS TO BE TAUGHT/REINFORCED INCLUDE: dribbling, passing, shooting, offense and defense. Benefits include Developing movement skills, eye-foot coordination, enhancing self-confidence, learning teamwork, and improving concentration.
Students will have TONS OF FUN while learning to play a variety of sports which can include Soccer, T-Ball/5 Pitch Baseball, Basketball, Flag Football, Tennis, Volleyball, Ultimate Frisbee as well as others that the kids would enjoy learning/playing. Mini-Games will be played. The children will warm-up and stretch at the beginning of each class. Classes are FUN and SKILL DEVELOPMENT ORIENTED, not competitive Min/Max: 7/10
T-BALL FUNDAMENTALS (Ages 4-6 years)
If you are thinking about enrolling your child in a T-Ball League, this is a class for him/her. Kids will have TONS OF FUN while learning T-Ball skills, as well as an introduction to and love for one of America’s favorite sports, Baseball. We will teach/reinforce the basic skills including hitting, running the bases, throwing and fielding balls with and without gloves, as well as sportsmanship and basic rules of the game. We utilize equipment designed for young children.
TENNIS 123 (Ages 4-Adult)
Students will have TONS OF FUN while learning TENNIS SKILLS AND A “LOVE” FOR A LIFELONG SPORT. Taught on Tennis Courts or at schools where our Staff utilize portable nets and downsized racquets. The skills taught will vary depending on the level of each group. Some of the tennis skills that will be taught include grips, forehand, backhand, serving, return of serve, volleying, rules and scoring. The benefits of these skills include improved eye-hand coordination, improving concentration, sharpening thinking, mathematics, social and communication skills, as well as enhancing self-confidence.
ULTIMATE FRISBEE FUNDAMENTALS (Ages 7-14 years)
STEM CLASSES (Science, Technology, Engineering & Math) (K-6th grade):
YOUNG ENGINEERS (Pre-K and K-2nd)
Students will have TONS OF FUN learning FUNdamental Frisbee skills including the backhand throw, catching, teamwork, rules and scoring. For the younger group, basic skills and various games will be taught. For the older Group, FAST ACTION AND FUN will be emphasized as they learn to play Ultimate Frisbee. Depending on the Group’s skill level, Wisbo Frisbee may also be taught. Each child will receive their own Frisbee during the Session so they can practice at home.
VOLLEYBALL (Ages 7-14 years)This class is designed to teach FUNdamental skills so those children can learn to play on a recreational Volleyball Team if they desire to do so. Kids will have TONS OF FUN while learning movement skills, eye-hand coordination, bumping, passing, spiking, serving and return of serve, rules and scoring. Additionally, offense and defense will taught with a focus on learning TEAMWORK.
Students will have A LOT OF FUN learning creative building skills and to follow basic plans as they are introduced to basic Math and Engineering concepts using building toys such as Lego, Lincoln Logs, etc. They will learn to drive a remote control motorized car and learn what Engineering concepts were applied to make this vehicle function (e.g., round wheels, motors, gears, batteries, remote control, etc. This Class will help them to develop their critical thinking skills and problem solving skills; and they will have FUN and a great learning experience. Min/Max: 6/12.
BUILDING FUN AND ENGINEERING (K-6th)
Kids will have a lot of FUN as they develop their creative building skills and learn to follow instructions to build various structures with Lego, Tinker Toys, Lincoln Logs and other building materials. Kids will also get introduced to Engineering usng Legos, etc., where students will have an opportunity to build machines (cars, bridges, etc.) that work by remote control.
FUN WITH MATH (K/TK)
This class will extend and enrich your child’s understanding of mathematics through FUN activities that promote a sense of numbers and mathematical reasoning based on California Math Standards. Activities will include Math games and other activities that teach and reinforce the basics of math vocabulary, the meaning of numbers, sequencing, money, adding and subtracting, problem solving, geometry, etc.
SCIENCE FUN (Pre-K to 5th)
Enter a World of Science, where Students will have Tons of Fun as they get creative and learn through discussions and hands-on (safe) experiments. These can include Chemistry (e.g., making “slime”), Physics (such as Gravity and Defying Gravity by making paper airplanes), Energy (e.g., by making cars that run on Solar Energy) and about the Human Body (such as bones, muscles, organs and the importance of being physically fit), and more.
ENGINEERING WITH LEGOS AND BEYOND (K/TK-6th)
(Examples of Course Descriptions, which change each session)
Wondrous Machines & Structures (TK/K)
Eyes open wide when kids make Minibots walk out of the future! Wondrous Machines & Structures teaches kids the principles and methods of engineering, architecture and science by building projects from distant places and times. Tee Pees from the past and robotic creatures from the future are built using Lego and more! Wondrous Machines & Structures projects promote problem-solving skills, creativity, basic math concepts, self-reliance and self-confidence. And kids have lots of fun learning!
Complex Machines & Structures (TK/K)
If your Lego engineer is ready to advance to the next level, Complex Machines & Structures is the right course. With the introduction of new, more complex skills and projects, this is where the serious fun and excitement of Lego engineering begins. 4-wheel drive gear-cars, skid steering tanks and truss bridges are some of the projects your engineer will create and play with. Complex Machines & Structures promote problem-solving skills, creativity, basic math concepts, self-reliance and self-confidence. And kids have lots of fun learning!
Super Machines (1st-6th)
Kids love to build and play with machines that make their imaginations soar! Super Machines is a project-based program that teaches kids the principles and methods of engineering, architecture and science using Lego and more! Build awesome machines like Super Lifters that can lift a Lego house 10xs their weight, and robotic hands that can grab you! Super Machines projects promote problem-solving skills, creativity, basic math concepts, self-reliance and self-confidence. And kids have lots of fun learning!
Advanced Super Machines (1st-6th)
For true Lego engineers, the greatest challenges are the most fun! That’s why Advanced Super Machines takes Lego engineering to the next level with multiple-motor projects like rack & pinion steering cars, cranes, excavators and battle trains with motorized weaponry. This is a project-based program that teaches kids the principles and methods of engineering, architecture and science using Lego! Advanced Super Machines projects promote problem-solving skills, creativity, basic math concepts, self-reliance and self-confidence. And kids have lots of fun learning!
THEATRE/IMPROV CLASSES (K-8th grade):
Beginning Acting/Drama (Ages 5-14 years)
Kids will have TONS OF FUN learning Acting Skills through theater games (e.g., the 5 senses game, imitating animate and inanimate objects, etc.) and improvisation (e.g., going on a field trip to the beach or zoo). Other benefits of this class will include developing public speaking and communication skills, creativity, spontaneity and teamwork as well as teaching them to focus on "being in the moment". The level of instruction will be based on the skills of the group.
“Hey Kids Let’s Put on a Play!”
Have you ever wanted to put on a play?
Or has the ‘theatre bug’ bitten you?
If so, get into the act and join the Stretch-n-Grow Players
on the boards producing a one act play or revue! *
1. Let's Put On a Play: Students will have a LOT OF Fun as they pick a Musical and then learn to sing their favorite tunes and learn choreography They will practice and prepare for a Mini-Performance on the last day of class!
2. Sing your favorite musical theatre tune and learn traditional choreography Or take that pop song and put some 'Brittney' moves to it. Basic vocal and dance
technique will be emphasized.
Enact a favorite tale or story using only music, mime, movement and dance.
Learn the importance of rhythm and sound in creating your own dance theatre story. *
'Tour de Art'
A smorgasboard of arts activities including music, visual art, theatre,
dance and games. Each theme or spotlight activity lasts for two sessions
Wrap & Rap
Poetry and Wrapping Paper. Create handmade wrapping paper and
then add some homemade verse. A work of art and poetry for any occasion.
Mix-Master Rhythm & Swing
Construct and make music with a variety of rhythm instruments.
Enact a favorite tale using only music, mime, movement and dance.
Learn the importance of rhythm and sound in creating your own dance theatre story.
*Classes can be tailored to your curriculum, theme or unit of study
Pre-K to Sixth Grade
Remember when you would put on plays in the back yard…? Now your kids can do the same; learn how to create and act out stories, dress up, build sets and have some serious non-electronic fun!
Fourth to Eighth Grade
An introduction to the craft of acting. Explore improvisation,
theatre games, character, voice and movement.
Continuation of Acting I. Work on monologues, scenes,
TV and movie scripts.
Acting III, Shakespeare
Explore the court and forest of A Midsummer Night's Dream.
Learn about Shakespeare and his poetry while exploring this
wonderful play. Presentation of selected scenes at the end of the session.
* Class can be tailored to a curriculum, theme or unit of study
OTHER ENRICHMENT CLASSES (K-8th grade)
CHESS 1 AND 2 (K-8th)
Learning and playing Chess will seem like fun and games to your children, but as they learn this game played by Kings, they will learn to focus and increase their concentration, build their memory and sequencing skills and enhance their problem solving skills; all are keys to their future academic success. During this session, the kids will learn the FUNdamentals of Chess including some basic strategies. Students in Chess 2 must have taken Chess 1 and/or have previous experience playing Chess. Chess 2 will build on the foundations learned in Chess 1
CREATIVE WRITING (3rd-8th grade)
Students will enjoy learning the process of learning to write and express themselves creatively and artistically. This class will focus on identifying great themes that the students can get excited about and making a “scrapbook” about this (e.g., family history, educational topics, other topics of interest, etc.). The class will include how to gather materials and stories (e.g., interviewing family members), how to organize them and how to document their work in writing and with pictures. Each child will bring home their final creative masterpiece that their family will enjoy for many years.
INHOUSE FIELD TRIPS FOR SUMMER CAMPS (Preschool & Kindergarten to 5th Grade)
Camps often contract with us to offer our Programs during the Summer to supplement their Camp Programs. These have included Acting/Improv, Art, Dance, Gymnastics and Sports such as Basketball, Soccer, Tennis and Baseball/T-Ball. We are a mobile program so we come prepared with all equipment/supplies needed.
Pictures-Thanksgiving and Winter 2016 Camps